Tuesday, February 2, 2016

Picture This

New grad class.  New assignments.  Bring on the photography!!


What better excuse to break down and get a new camera than new babies and a class about photography?!  We settled on a nice DSLR, but a brand new camera with lots of functions is overwhelming!  One of the greatest challenges from this assignment was figuring out the camera.  Sure, I could simply point and shoot, but I didn’t want the same type of pictures I could capture on my iPhone!
Since the camera didn’t arrive until the middle of the week, I spent the first part of the week choosing the words I thought described me and brainstorming ways to stage those words in a photograph.  Not an easy task!  I would come up with neat photo ideas for words that I thought described me well only to find out the word wasn’t on the list of options.  There were a lot of similar words, and I wish that some of those had been eliminated and a wider variety of choices included.


Once I had my pictures I hit the “now what” point.  I’d only edited pictures through basic apps on my phone that allow you to change the filter or add words.  My DSLR pictures deserved better!  I dived head first into playing with Adobe Photoshop.  My pictures will never be the same!  There are so many ways to edit and tweak pictures in those programs!  I really like the simplicity of the express version for the iPad because it makes the process a bit less overwhelming for a beginner than the full computer version.

I wish that the description for this course had conveyed the emphasis on photography so that I could have gotten the camera and Photoshop sooner.  With more time to play with both my pictures could have been even better!




No comments:

Post a Comment