Saturday, October 24, 2015

Smoosh It!!

The more I work with technology, the more possibilities I discover! I've had plenty of moments where I'm using an app to create something but find that it'll only do part of what I want. So I finish that part and then move it into another app to do more. Apparently, this has a name: App Smashing!

For one of my grad classes, we had to create a final product using app smashing. Jared decided that a final product of app smashing should be called a smoosh, so we created a smoosh!

Step one: figure out what our smoosh would be! I'm in the middle of program prep and he's working with little kiddos all day so we decided to find a smoosh that I could use to have my students self-assess their progress and used apps that he could have little kids play with!

The apps:

Voice Recorder - I used this app to record my students singing one of the songs they were working on.

Safari - I used this app next to find an image to animate. Safari allows you to search for open source images so we wouldn't have to worry about copyright issues.

Photos - I used this app to crop the image of extra "stuff."

Animate Me - We played with a few apps for animation and settled on this one. The free version us a number of limitations, including an audio time limit of ten seconds, so Jared upgraded to the full version for $0.99. This app was fun to play with! We could animate faces over our image, record audio, speed things up/slow things down, and more! We used both phones to record the audio from my phone to the app on his phone. Jared then added a face and animation to our image. Bam!! Smoosh created!

YouTube - Next, I uploaded the video from my phone files to my YouTube account.

Blogger - Final step is to make it public and share the fun!!

So now I get to share our awesome smoosh with all of you!!


I used the normal version to have the students self-assess their progress and work on fixing some mistakes during rehearsal, but they enjoyed this chipmunk version as well!!

To my fellow educators, how would you use app smashing in your classroom?

No comments:

Post a Comment